Exploring Siem Reap ft. Tara Angkor Hotel

July 22, 2017


Let me update you on where I have been, 2 days ago I flew from Chiang Mai → Siem Reap, Cambodia. The internet has not been that stable so it makes it a little harder to get posts up. Besides that, I'm having a really amazing time exploring this new city and all in all just having a relaxing holiday. I want to bring you with me on what I did on my first full day here in Siem Reap.
I arrived at Tara Angkor Hotel at 9pm, the hotel kindly organised a car to pick us up from the airport and transfer us to the hotel which made the trip getting there extremely easy, especially since we were hungry and tired from our flight. We were greeted with a chilled beverage and a cool towel to freshen up while we checked in. The person that showed us our room was so cheerful and enthusiastic and every interaction with the staff here since has all been a positive experiences.
DSC04390.jpg
A little random but the lobby of this hotel smells soooo good! Luckily enough for me they have on display the essential oil combo they are burning so I can create a similar scent when I go home! :relaxed:
DSC04283.jpg

Firstly Breakfast

Hotels usually means.....Breakfast buffets!
DSC04257.jpg
DSC04252.jpg
Here I have potatoes, baked beans, pancakes. The little bowl on my plate has a fresh papaya jam filled crepe and in my bowl I of course have Plain Congee (for the Chinese side of me :P ).
DSC04249.jpg

Exploring the Tara Angkor Hotel

After a delicious breakfast I took some time to just explore around the hotel and see what the facilities were like.
DSC04392.jpg
DSC0427824.jpg
DSC04269.jpg
DSC04272.jpg
DSC04274.jpg
DSC04372.jpg
DSC04374.jpg

Riding to Town.

Tara Angkor Hotel also has bikes you can hire for the day, so I thought it would be a fun way to get into town. I've never ridden a bike on the road in Australia before only in parks so I was pretty nervous about firstly riding on the road and secondly riding on my first day in Siem Reap.
DSC04287.jpg
DSC04290.jpg
Don't be fooled by these pictures of me on the bike in a quite park, it was a whole different ball game when I actually had to ride on the road with the cars, motorbikes, other bikes and tuk tuks! I'd say I started of terrified but by the end of the day I was only mildly scared. Despite seeming a little chaotic on the road you will soon realise that everyone seems to be on high alert, so as long as your riding at a steady pace even if it's slow, people will just manoeuvre around you.

DSC04316.jpg
DSC04318.jpg

Exploring the Town Centre

We parked our bikes along the main street in town (Pub Street) and walked around to see what they have to offer in terms of food. On the way, I decided to check out one of these little market stalls, I've seen these kind of stores time and time again in Thailand. They usually sell souvenirs and knock off brand clothing for a few dollars.
I walked around casually browsing through these markets. I was tempted to buy a sports bra and a workout top mainly because I felt a little obligated to as the lady at the stall was a little pushy. I changed my mind when she told me they were $45 USD all together. I didn't want to waste my money just because I felt obligated to buy. As I was leaving her stall, she started to yelled at me "$30... $25 ... $20 OK, you buy $10!!!... YOU CRAZY!!" but by then I was across the street and had no interest in buying. So that was pretty entertaining, I never had that experience while I was in Chiang Mai but then again I wasn't in a tourist area so I think the attitude is a lot more mild.
DSC04332.jpg
You will also noticed that there was a lot of pizzarias when you're walking around in the Town Square.
DSC04344.jpg
DSC04330.jpg
DSC04321.jpg
I gotta say I really love how different one street can be from the next. Like I was just walking and found this cute little Italian inspired alley.
DSC042782.jpg

Lunchtime! My first meal in Siem Reap.

Lunch was at Khmer Family Restaurant which I randomly picked off Pub street.
DSC04370.jpg
DSC04362.jpg
I love the vibe of this restaurant especially the teal and purple colour combo for the cushion.
DSC04360.jpg
I ended up getting vegetable fried rice, vegetable curry and banana shake. They were both so so so delicious so much so that It really shocked me, I highly recommend this place!
DSC04346.jpg
DSC04365.jpg
DSC04368.jpg
DSC04363.jpg
So far I've been having a really great time in Siem Reap (in real time, I'm on my 3rd day here) I hope you enjoy this post on my first day in Siem Reap and stick around for more.
Until Next Time,
IMG_2570-copy-01.png

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© alisha ko. Design by FCD.