Korean Cold Noodles!

August 9, 2017 36/1,36/2 Nimmanhaemin Lane 11, Muang, Thailand



What better way to beat the Thai heat then with korean cold noodles (Naengmyeon)! I'm still fairly new to korean cold noodles, I've only tried it at 3 different korean restaurants. At first I wasn't sure if I really liked them or not but each time I tried it I grew to like it a little more and I'm usually the person that likes there food steaming hot!
If you haven't had or seen cold noodles before and wondering how cold really are they well, the soup base will usually have a few ice cubes in it. It is normally served in a steel bowl topped with cucumbers, Korean pear and lightly pickled radish which makes it super refreshing. The broth is tangy in flavor. There was an old tradition that the noodles would be slurped without cutting as it symbolised longevity in life. Long noodles = Long life!
DSC05304-2.jpg
Now this restaurant has no frills, nothing to write home about but they do serve pretty decent korean food. The funny thing is there was actually a korean restaurant right next door to this one which we went to regularly. The service was bad but the food was very authentic. But I would say the bad service is probably why they slowly went out of business and closed down, plus it doesn't help that there is a korean restaurant right beside it!
DSC05307-2.jpg
I love that they give you 6 different plates of sides and you can top them up free of charge. First up we order the classic kimchi pancake!
DSC04107-2.jpg
Another winning quality about this restaurant has to be they also give you free soup which again you can top up as you wish. I'm not 100% sure what the soup is but I think it's kimchi soup with tofu. Super yummy!!
DSC05316-2.jpg
Here we have the coooooold noodles, can you see the icy broth? My boyfriend does not like it at all 😛
DSC05320-2.jpg
That's the self service bar in the center where you can top up on sides and soup
DSC05314.jpg
My boyfriend's favourite korean dish is Tteok-bokki which is spicy rice cakes. I really love the texture rice cakes, it's soft and chewy but the ones here are extremely spicy so I don't go near them.
DSC05319-2.jpg
I did try the spicy cold noodles a different night, I really loved the flavor but in the end it was burning a hole in my mouth by how spicy it was. Surprisingly this one didn't have a soup base it was just cold buckwheat noodles coated in spicy sauce.
DSC04108-2.jpg
DSC05324.jpg

I want to know what is your go-to korean dish you order when you go out for korean?

Until next time,
IMG_2570-copy-01.png

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© alisha ko. Design by FCD.